Royal Lancashire Show organisers are fighting save the annual summer event.
The show, which is organised by the Royal Lancashire Agricultural Society, has been cancelled in recent years due to a host of problems.
Organisers now say a lack of commitment and interest means it may never return.
Committee member David Marriott said: “There will not be a show this year, because we don’t have the man power.
“The show we had last year was quite a success and we were hoping to expand it but we just don’t have the bodies to do that.”
The council, which organises the event, has seen a fall in numbers and needs to change the way it is structured.
At present 20 members are needed to make decisions and vote but only nine attended an AGM last week.
Mr Marriott said: “Without being able to vote we find ourselves in a position where we can’t take any action.”
He said the society was taking legal steps to change its structure and will hold a meeting on June 27 to try to generate new membership.
Mr Marriott said: “If we can activate all this there is a future but if we can’t, or if the membership votes against us, we will have to wind up the association.
“It is getting to the stage where even the five or six people who are still involved are looking at each other and asking if we are banging our heads against a brick wall.
“We hope we are not and we’ll keep on trying for as long as we can but unless we can pull something together over these next few months we will have to step back and ask what is the future?”
In 2007 and 2008 the show was called off because of bad weather and a row over where to stage the event in 2009 meant it didn’t take place. And in 2010 organisers admitted defeat in their bid to keep it running.