Longridge and Garstang areas saw a plethora of successes in the many classes of this year’s Best Kept Village Competition.
Supported by Lancashire Life, the Lancashire Association of Local Councils, the Villa Wrea Green and several county councillors, its remit sees members of the contest committee turn up unannounced at entrants throughout the region.
They judge on factors including the absence of weeds and litter, the maintenance of private properties and hedgerows, the tidiness of community buildings, the cleanliness of bus shelters and telephone kiosks, well-maintained open spaces, playing fields and children’s play areas, and the maintenance of all places of worship.
Whitechapel was fourth in the champion village category: Bilsborrow third in the small village section, Inglewhite fifth and St Michael’s-on-Wyre eighth.
Of 14 entries in the medium village section, Great Eccleston was fourth, Ribchester fifth, and Chipping eighth.
Inglewhite Chapel won the places of worship category with Ribchester’s SS Peter and Paul RC Church highly commended.
Other local results:
Public hall: Winner Longridge, The Old Station Heritage Centre, highly commended Elswick Village Hall.
Sheltered accommodation: Highly commended Great Eccleston The Bungalows, Raikes Road.
Schools: Highly commended Bilsborrow John Cross School.
Industrial/Commercial: higghly commended Bilsborrow Barton Grange Garden Centre.
Shop/Filling Station: highly commended Bilsborrow Post Office.
Farm: Winner St. Michael’s on Wyre Catterall’s Farm.
Hotel/Guest House: Winner Broughton The Marriott Hotel.
Public Toilet: Winner Chipping Village toilets.
Bowling Green: Winner Hurst Green Bowling Club; highly commended Whitechapel Bowling Club.
The competition started in 1958 and was set up by the Community Council of Lancashire whose members felt such a competition would promote a better environment for all throughout Lancashire.
Overall champion village was Blacko, in Pendle, with Wrea Green runner up.