Hotel weddings hit by power cut

The Marriott
The Marriott
0
Have your say

wedding celebrations turned sour when a hotel suffered a seven-hour power cut.

Police were called to the Marriott Preston in Garstang Road, Broughton, where two couples were hosting their big days when disaster struck on Saturday night.

The fault left the hotel without electricity from just before 6.45pm until 1.45am on Sunday.

It affected 1,269 Electricity North West customers in Broughton but the connection to 1,231 was restored within five minutes. The remainder had their power back on by 7.40pm.

But the hotel’s power could not be reconnected and an emergency generator was set up at the hotel in the early hours of the morning.

Guests told of other visitors becoming irate due to the problem and police attended to ensure a “safe environment”, general manger Gaston Gonzalez said.

The wedding party of Preston couple David and Leanne Hardingham was in full swing when the power cut out.

The hotel has a back-up generator but it only provides emergency lighting so no music could be played, and the kitchen could not operate, so guests were served cold food, including sandwiches.

Richard Greatorex, 38, and Laura Roberts, 37, from Croydon, south London, were staying at the Marriott for one night after attending a friend’s wedding at the nearby Barton Grange Hotel and returned to the Marriott at around 12.15am.

Laura said: “Everything was out and there were a lot of guests outside.

“There were a lot of wedding people and a lot of people getting irate. It was a bit of a nasty atmosphere when we turned up.”

Richard said: “There were obviously a few people who’d had a few drinks. We went to our rooms by torchlight.”

Manager Mr Gonzalez said: “The hotel management is extremely disappointed that the recent power failure in the local area has affected events taking place at the hotel on Saturday evening. We are currently working with our electricity supplier to ascertain the cause of this issue and how we can work with them to minimise risk in the future.

“We will be working closely with all parties affected by Saturday night’s uncontrollable occurrence and hope to reach suitable resolutions with our guests as soon as possible.”

An Electricity North West spokesman said: “It was caused by a fault in a high voltage underground cable. We apologise for any inconvenience.”