A woman has spoken of the heartbreaking moment her beloved dog died in her arms after she was poisoned.
The family pet was the first of two dogs to die after police believe someone deliberately threw a well-used and easily accessible drug over Ali Harling’s fence.
Just hours after 11-year-old golden labrador Dizzy died in Mrs Harling’s arms while on the way to the vets, Mrs Harling’s other dog Stan, who was four, also died. Dizzy was Stan’s grandmother.
Mrs Harling said when vets started operating on Stan, also a golden labrador, they found his intestines were “shredded” as a result of eating the over-the-counter drug, which police are not naming for fear of it being used to harm animals.
Stan’s liver and kidneys were also failing.
Mrs Harling’s other dogs, golden labrador Jake, 13, and nine-month-old dachshund Alfie, were taken ill at their home on Lancaster Road, Preesall, but are recovering.
Mrs Harling, 45, said: “I am devastated.
“They were completely innocent; they never did anything wrong. What happened was completely mindless.”
Mrs Harling said she believed the drug had been thrown over her gate late last Sunday.
She said all dogs suddenly got very sick at the same time on Monday. She kept an eye on them, and throughout the day they appeared better but, by Tuesday morning, Dizzy and Stan were so poorly she rushed them to the vets.
She said: “On the way, Dizzy took two massive breaths, and then she was gone.
“After they’d tried operating on Stan, the vet told us to call the police as the dogs had symptoms of poisoning.”
Mrs Harling, a mum-of-one, said: “Someone has done this on purpose in a calculated attack.”
Police are keen to hear from anyone who was in the Lancaster Road and Cart Gate area in the early hours of Monday, June 16.
PC Dave Kerfoot, of Garstang and Over Wyre police, said: “This is clearly a very distressing incident and one that we are taking very seriously.”
Anyone with information should call police on 101 quoting reference number BC1407603.