Woman ‘lucky’ to escape chip pan fireball

Firefighters attdned RTC in Sutton
Firefighters attdned RTC in Sutton

A woman was taken to hospital after trying to put out a chip pan fire using a garden hose.

Firefighters say the occupant of a house in Winder Lane, Forton was “lucky” she was standing in the doorway of the kitchen when the water hit the burning fat and caused a huge fireball.

She was given first aid and oxygen at the scene and then taken to hospital for a precautionary check-up.

“Lucky for the occupier she was standing in the doorway to the kitchen when the water made contact with the pan,” said crew manager John Holmes from Lancaster.

“The burning fat expanded, causing a fireball in the kitchen.

“She was given oxygen and medical assistance by fire service personnel awaiting the arrival of an ambulance. She was taken to hospital for a precautionary check-up.

“Our advice to anyone in a similar situation is when you are cooking keep on looking. Don’t leave anything unattended. Turn it off to answer the phone or the door.

“Do not put water on hot oil fires or chip pans annd do not attempt to move the pan - the handles can become brittle and snap.

“Close the door to stop fire and smoke spreading, get out and stay out.”

It is believed the woman had put the chip pan on annd then left the kitchen to answer the phone.

When she discovered the blaze she went outside and turned a garden hose on the flames.