Two-goal lead blown away as strong youth side ships seven

Sport news
Sport news

Youth Football

AFC Blackpool Youth 7, Garstang Youth 3

Garstang Youth travelled to AFC Blackpool with a very strong squad and were looking to carry on their excellent form from last week.

The youth started the game in brilliant fashion with some good attacking play through Roberts. Murphy’s commanding role at the back also helped Blackpool to see little of Graham’s Garstang goal.

It didn’t take long for Garstang to score and it came through Smith who struck across the keeper from inside the box to put Garstang ahead.

Minutes later a brilliant run from Roberts saw him challenged in the box to win a penalty.

Murphy slotted it just out of reach to the keepers left to make it 2-0. Blackpool then had a number of counter-attacks and Graham was looking unbeatable when he made an outstanding double save to deny the Blackpool forward.

Garstang looked to have slowed the pace down and another through ball over the top saw a Graham being called into action and make another save but the rebound found the back of the net to make it 2-1.

The next five minutes would be the worst for Garstang as Blackpool upped the tempo and the visitors couldn’t deal with the forward runs, resulting in a Blackpool equaliser.

This was then followed by another goal for the hosts almost straight from the kick off and Garstang found themselves throwing away a two goal lead.

They responded through Moss who poked home from a corner with his first touch after being on just a matter of seconds.

Blackpool then found themselves ahead again when the Blackpool forward found himself free in the box to finish coolly just before half time.

Garstang went into half time 4-3 down and they knew the next goal would be the most important.

The second half was much slower than the first and was played very much in the middle of the park.

A Blackpool corner came off the unfortunate head of Ball and looped over Graham to give Blackpool a two goal lead. 5-3.

Garstang had few second half chances with the best chances being from Carter who shot and headed just wide.

Ball also came close but also missed the target.

Garstang gambled by going 3 at the back for the last 20 minutes but it didn’t pay off as AFC scored two late breakaway goals to give a scoreline which didn’t truly reflect the game.

A slightly disappointing performance from Garstang compared to last weeks victory but Garstang kept their heads throughout the game and showed glimpses of their brilliant attacking play.

Garstang Squad: Graham, Hofstetter, Bailey, Blackburn, Murphy (Capt), Smith, Carter, Handley, Mullin, Roberts, Applegate, Ball, Hands, Moss, Assalone, Bevan.