Jack is set for a new fight night

Jack Arnfield is preparing for more action in the ring
Jack Arnfield is preparing for more action in the ring

Stalmine boxer Jack Arnfield is looking forward to defending his unbeaten record in Blackpool in March.

And there is even a chance he could be involved in a British title eliminator.

Middleweight Arnfield will share top billing with Blackpool’s Matty Askin, who will defend his English cruiser weight title against Menay Edwards on a show jointly promoted by Ricky Hatton’s organisation and VIP.

Arnfield, who has won all 17 bouts as a professional, said: “We are waiting to hear whether the British Boxing Board will sanction an eliminator for the British title, which would be brilliant if it came off.”

The March 29 date will mark a return to the venue where Arnfield enjoyed a shut-out points win over Midlander Max Maxwell, the former British title challenger, in November.

It was Arnfield’s 17th straight win and he said: “After beating Maxwell, I was hoping to fight again before Christmas, but it never happened.

“I have kept myself fit and ready. Steve Wood, my manager, did offer me a fight on one of his promotions at Southport on February 28, but I decided not to take it so that I can concentrate fully on the Winter Gardens fight.

“Whoever I do meet on March 29, I want it to be another step-up in class.

“I am the fittest I have ever been and I have a good 11 weeks to prepare for the Winter Gardens. That gives me plenty of time.

“I had been hoping that 2013 would be a big year for me, but it didn’t work out that way because I spent a long time out with a hand injury.

“So I will try and make sure that 2014 is a big year for me instead.

“At the moment, I am injury-free and everything is going well.”

Arnfield has had a career change of late.

The bulk of Arnfield’s contests have been at light-
middleweight, but he has stepped up to middleweight, where he is more comfortable for his size.