A care home has been placed in special measures after inspectors listed a catalogue of problems including dirty and smelly rooms, a dangerous fire escape and a risk of electrocution from water dripping on to plug sockets.
Care Quality Commission inspectors also reported that a patient with a leg in plaster had been “bounced” down the stairs in a wheelchair because he could not access the lift at Catterall House.
All new admissions to the 24 bed private home on Garstang By-Pass Road at Catterall have been halted on the Commission’s orders after the surprise inspection in November.
The damning report revealed how a week before inspectors arrived a person had left the building in the night using a first floor metal fire escape and needed hospital treatment after falling.
Inspectors noted the incident could “have had fatal consequences.”
During the inspection a soaking wet pillow was found on a shelf in the sluice room, which meant water was dripping over electrical sockets posing a “serious risk of electrocution”.
Concerns highlighted included:
l Hot water temperatures presented a scalding risk in some areas of the home, including residents’ en suite bathrooms and communal areas.
l A patient with a leg in plaster had been “bounced “ down the stairs in his wheelchair because the plaster on his leg meant he could not access the lift.
l Inspectors were told no cleaner had been employed at the home for 12 months.
l Care staff had to carry out all cleaning and laundry duties as well as provide activities for residents.
l Care workers also had to cover for the cook on his days off
l Communal bathrooms and toilets were “visibly dirty”