Public outrage has grown over proposals to build over 30 riverside apartments on the town’s public car park.
Would-be developer Keyworker Homes presented its revised plans at a packed Garstang town council on Monday night following three public consultation sessions.
The initial proposals are to build 34 retirement apartments and retail units on Garstang Community and Business Centre site.
The site, which also comprises the riverside car park at the top of High Street, was put up for sale by Wyre Council earlier this year.
Residents who attended once again expressed their anger that they look set to lose their community centre, 36 of 124 public car parking spaces and the view of the river from the car park.
There were also fresh concerns raised at the meeting, which took place at Garstang Library, that the development would block the view of the river from High Street, as well as being too big for the area causing it to look out of place.
One idea previously raised is that a community space could be provided on the top floor of the retail unit to accomodate the dance and theatre groups which currently use the centre.
Managing director at Keyworker Homes Eian Bailey once again stressed that the plans presented were not the finished designs and changes will be made to the scheme “to reflect any suggestions, where possible, prior to a planning application being lodged.”
The proposals include:
• Building 34 tiered retirement apartments with 14 car parking spaces at the bottom of the car park, by the the riverside walk area
• Creating 10,000 sq feet of retail space replacing the current community and business centre, fronted on High Street by a café.
• 88 car park spaces retained for public use
• Public toilets relocated and improved
• A pedestrian zone to connect the car park to the High Street
• Retain the public garden area fronting High Street, but relocate the millennium garden
Group Action Garstang say they plan to hold a public meeting in the near future.
How we have reported the battle for the community centre: