Ashcroft fumes after Town fall to defeat

Northwich manager Lee Ashcroft.
Northwich manager Lee Ashcroft.

West Lancashire League Premier Division

Longridge Town 2 - Euxton Villa 4

Longridge Town’s unbeaten start to the season came to an abrupt end at home to table topping Euxton Villa on Saturday and Town boss Lee Ashcroft left the dressing room saying that things would have to change.

He said: “There won’t be many days like that as long as l’m manager here that’s for sure. I’ve learnt more today about my team than l did last week when we won 7-2 away. It’s about characters in the side and at half-time we said a few things.”

Tough words from the Longridge boss, but it was clear from the 24th minute when Euxton took a lead from a free-kick outside the area scored by Byron Andrew that they had every intention of staying top of the table. And when team mate Daniel Birkby seized on a defensive mistake in the town rearguard to make it two nil four minutes later, the writing was on the wall as far as Longridge’s unbeaten start to the season was concerned.

Villa’s Daniel Morris made it 3-0 just before the break in the 42nd minute when he tapped home after another defensive mix-up let him in at the far post. But if the first-half had been a tail of woe for Town they were four down on 63 minutes when Danny Marland slipped in the score.

But after ringing the changes off the bench, boss Ashcroft saw his side make a spirited end to the match by scoring twice in the 71st minute from a free-kick by central defender Dan Walmsley and then ‘Man of the Match’ Lennie Reid grabbing a second inside the box to give Town some hope.

Town: Baldwin, Tucker, Nightingale, Garry, Walmsley, Halliwell, Reid, Kilford (Melling 76), Coar, McKenna (Longshaw 45), McDonald (Hamer 76). Subs not used: Bowen, Woodruff

Longridge Town 3 - Hesketh Bank

The West Lancashire League Premier Division

Longridge Town came from a goal down after only 62 seconds to secure their first win at home of the new season against bottom of the table Hesketh Bank on Tuesday.

Steve Cannon fired the visitors ahead in the second minute from a tight angle on the right to shock the Inglewhite Road crowd into silence.

But Town hit back within 10 minutes when a strong shot from Ryan McKenna got the home side back on level terms after 12 minutes.

And it came just seconds after McKenna had had a one on one chance with Bank ‘keeper Henry Heighton to put Longridge ahead.

As it was he had to wait just 90 seconds before he got the chance to redeem himself; but this time he made no mistake.

And it was no surprise either when after 25 minutes the bustling Rick Coar turned Hesketh Bank defender 
Jack Cocking inside out to carve out a chance from no where and fire home in typical fashion for his third goal of the season.

The clincher came just three minutes after the talented Reid had rattled the foot of a post as the home side tried in vain to finally see off the spirited challenge of the division’s basement side.

Town’s win moves them up to fourth in the West Lancashire League Premier Division standings.

Longridge Town: Baldwin, Melling, Nightingale, Garry, Walmsley, Helliwell, Bowen (Kilford 58), Murch, Coar, McKenna (Reid 46), McDonald.

Hesketh Bank: Heighton, Cox, Brierley, Cocking, Jones (Grant 46), German, Hitchings (Owens 46), Milton (Ahmadi 71), Ascroft, Cannon, Kaffo.