Boys have done me proud

editorial image

Richardson Cup


Fulwood Amateurs...............2

Garstang FC.........................0

Garstang missed out on the chance of winning silverware when they were beaten in the semi-finals of the Richardson Cup on Saturday.

Goals from veteran campaigners Peter Wright and Lee Ashcroft carried the West Lancashire League Premier Division strugglers into the 
final against Charnock Richard, a match to be played at Fleetwood Town FC.

But despite the disappointment manager Iain Swan has spoken of his pride at his squad’s performances in recent weeks, with Garstang securing their place in the Premier League for next season.

Wins over the Easter Bank Holiday – a 1-0 derby victory over Longridge and a 2-0 home win against a strong Blackpool Wren Rovers – fired the Riversiders to 10th in the table with two games left to play.

Swan said: “The lads have been superb, I couldn’t be more pleased how they’ve come back and shown how they really can perform”

The side are now seven league games unbeaten, with their final match of the campaign away at Euxton Villa on Saturday.

Garstang were without striker Leon Gierke and Dodd was forced to withdraw at the last minute due to illness ahead of the cup clash.

Fulwood started the stronger of the sides, with James Brindle forced into two good saves to thwart a crisp shot from MacKenna and a header by Sam Braithwaite from a corner in the 32nd minute.

Amateurs made the breakthrough in the 40th minute when Ashcroft headed home a perfect cross from MacKenna.

Garstang were on the 
offensive in the second half and a deep cross from Bell skimmed the back post.

Then Poole looked to be pulled back in the penalty area only for his claims to be waved away by the referee.

Helliwell created good space for himself, but his shot was comfortably saved by Hawksworth.

Fulwood had a let off when Hawksworth mishandled a long Bell throw in and the ball had to be hacked away.

However, the Fulwood keeper redeemed himself when he mothered a cross- come-shot from Fawcett.

Louth replaced Taylor in the 73rd minute, but Fulwood confirmed their grip on the game when Wright fired in their second goal.

Bell and Roskell were replaced by Graham and Panepinto with seven minutes to go, but other than a long range effort by Baker that was tipped over the bar, Fulwood were able to see out the game without too much trouble.

Garstang: Brindle, Bell, McGahon, Baker, Crossley, Taylor, Anderson, Fawcett, Poole, Helliwell, Roskell. Subs: Louth, Graham, Panepinto.