Dismal start rolls on for Swan’s men

Garstang fc v Blackpool Wren Rovers
Garstang fc v Blackpool Wren Rovers

Garstang continued their dismal start to the season as they were beaten 6-3 by Blackpool Wren Rovers last weekend.

Iain Swan’s men are one point off the foot of the table and are without a win seven games into the new campaign.

Swan’s side have lost five games and have drawn two leaving them in 14th place in the West Lancashire Premier League table.

The Wrens began the clash in a positive manner and were ahead in the second minute when Donaghy crossed the ball into the six-yard-box and Pett beat Thornley to the ball to poke it over the line.

Rick Seear was causing problems down the right and cut inside in the eighth minute testing Thornley in the Garstang goal.

It was 13 minutes before Garstang got into the game when they won three successive corners.

Garstang clawed their way back in to the game but in the 26th minute Thornley came charging out to the touchline for a ball and Rovers capitalised on the mad scramble.

In the melee Pett slipped the ball past Hay who brought him crashing to the ground and the referee awarded a penalty that Seear dispatched with ease.

In the 33rd minute Poole was tugged back in the box by Donaghy which resulted in a penalty and the defender was sent off after receiving a second yellow card.

Poole stepped up to slide home the spot kick to make it 2-1.

The visitors pushed on to take advantage of the extra man but it was Wrens who extended their lead in the 40th minute when Hay made a challenge in the box and Seear scored his second spot-kick of the day from the resulting penalty. Two minutes later Garstang fought back – Barnett played in Fawcett who burst through the middle to score a trademark goal to make the half-time score 3-2.

Although down to 10-men the Wrens started the second half on the front foot.

Ubershar got booked for kicking the ball at his opponent after conceding a foul on the edge of the box.

And from the resulting free kick Pett headed just wide.

Garstang countered with Poole forcing Smith to save at the second attempt and Pett was carded for bringing down Graham.

After a relatively quiet 10 minutes the game burst back into life on 65 minutes when Barnett played in Matichechia whose shot was saved by Smith’s legs.

Ubershar was caught in possession and Wrens player Morris shot just wide.

The goal of the game came in the 67th minute when Bell struck a superb cross to the back post for Poole to smash a scissor kick into the far corner.

Rovers continued to attack and edged ahead on 73 minutes when Fiddle finished well.

Manager, Swan, decided to gamble with three at the back for the last 15 minutes but unfortunately it did not pay off as defensive chaos allowed Seear to complete his hat-trick.

The danger man chipped the ball over Thornley in the 81st minute and a minute later Creelman set up Clarke for a tap-in to seal an eventful game.

Garstang Team: Thornley, Bell, Louth, Hay, Ubershar, A Roskell, Graham, Fawcett, Poole, Barnett, A Matichechia. Subs: Taylor, Baker, Miller, C Matichechia, Curwen.