Fiery win for Garstang youngsters

Sport news
Sport news

Syndicate Youth Cup 2nd Round

Hoole Utd Yth 0

Garstang Yth 9

The youth team were on the road again after being drawn with an away tie against Hoole United in the Syndicate Youth Cup second round.

The match was under way and the first 10 minutes was very even with opportunities for both sides.

Mullin’s side footed attempt from inside the box was tipped onto the post and a volley on Graham’s goal fired over.

Garstang took the lead in the 12th minute when a Carter corner met the head of Murphy who flicked the ball in to make it 1-0 with his 4th goal of the season.

The centre midfield duo of Bevan and Mullin were looking telepathic and everybody looked and admired when Bevan took on two on the edge of the box and linked up with Mullin who put Bevan through on goal, only to see his attempt rattle the post.

A second corner from Carter was followed in by Bevan who found the back of the net to make it 2 for Garstang on 33 minutes.

It should’ve been 3 before half time through two chances.

The first came from the captain Murphy who fired high and wide from the edge of the box and the second was a Smith cross that found Carter at the back post but he couldn’t find the back of the net.

Garstang started the second half very quickly and it took just 3 minutes for Garstang to pull further ahead.

A brilliant through ball found Carter who ran through one-on-one and coolly chipped the keeper.

On 53 minutes, some good link up play between Mullin and Bevan helped the ball into the box.

Hoole cleared the ball as far as Handley who’s 10 yard effort trickled into the bottom corner to make it 4-0.

Applegate was also doing well up front. Applegate was put through on goal but his shot was tipped out and it found Roberts at the back post to tap in and make it 5 for the youth on 57 minutes.

Applegate again found himself with the ball in the box on the hour mark and fired on goal.

A brilliant save from the keeper rebounded back to him but he couldn’t find the net with the second attempt.

McGrath was playing well on the right hand side and on 64 minutes he cut onto his right foot and shot from well outside the box. His effort curled and dipped over the keeper to put Garstang 6 ahead and for McGrath to get his second cup goal.

With 15 minutes to play some brilliant work by Ball on the wing who took on almost the whole of the Hoole defence cut the ball back to Handley who couldn’t miss and he got his 2nd of the game.

Garstang were looking irrepressible and the impressive Moss emphasised this more after striking from 20 yards and finding the bottom left corner to make it 8-0 with 10 minutes to play.

The striking partnership who started the game of Smith and Carter then found themselves playing together as centre backs.

They allowed just one shot on goal when a good effort from inside the box was superbly stopped by Graham who hadn’t had much to do all game.

Ball got his goal in the 86th minute when he poked home from inside the box to make it 9.

Centre back Blackburn then came on up front searching for his 1st Garstang goal and his best chance came when Handley - who could’ve got his hat-trick - unselfishly played Blackburn through but he slipped and couldn’t get on the end of it which would have been a super goal to round the game off. The final attempt of the game came in added time when the ball was fired across goal to Handley who was a yard but somehow he couldn’t get his hat-trick as his effort looped over the bar. A superb performance from everyone, especially Bevan and Mullin but the team played well as a whole and looked to be enjoying themselves.