Four league wins in a row for Garstang

Garstang v Thornton Cleveleys. Result 5-1
Garstang v Thornton Cleveleys. Result 5-1
Share this article

Garstang made it four League wins in a row, lifting them to seventh place in the League following their latest emphatic win over Thornton Cleveleys.

After a tentative start Poole gave evidence of what was to come when he got the better of Wood but fortunately for the visitors the striker scuffed his shot.

Thornley had to be quick out of his goal to smother a Hastings shot following a quick Thornton break.

The visitors threatened briefly keeping good possession, moves twice broken up by strong tackles by Graham on the edge of his home box.

The opening goal came in the 11th minute when Wood missed his header, Poole latched on to the mistake before steering the ball past Keeper Tallentine.

Mattichechia was yellow carded for a rash challenge on Dawson then the offending player almost made amends for his discretion bringing a good save out of Tallentine.

The Thornton Keeper Thwarted Mattichechia again minutes later following some great work on the left flank by Poole.

The Mattichechia/Poole partnership was proving fruitful when the former provided another chance for Poole that went a begging.

Garstang were swarming all over their opponents at this stage as Fawcett put Poole through on goal but this time his shot came back off the post to Mattichechia whose shot was blocked.

Garstang’s long awaited second didn’t come until the 42nd minute when, who else but Poole forced the ball over the line after good pressing and a quality cross by Fawcett.

There was a flurry of Thornton pressure as the second half got under way. An appeal for hand ball in the box was turned down then Dawson headed a corner wide.

The game was all but put to bed when Poole scrambled his and his teams third goal on 57 minutes. The despondent visitors heads dropped. Tallentine had to tip a shot come cross from Dodd over the bar before Khanbay was booked for a foul McGahon. Gierke replaced Roskell in the 70th minute.

Thornley had to show all his experience as Thornton rallied, saving well from Hulme and punching another dangerous cross clear, the biggest scare coming when a Dawson strike was deflected on to and over the bar.

Swindlehurst came on for Dodd making an immediate impression winning a header for Gierke, the Garstang veteran slipped the ball to Poole who hammered home number 4.

Hastings picked up a second yellow reducing the visitors to ten men. Garstang hadn’t finished, Fawcett shot wide courtesy of another quality Gierke pass, then Bell tried his luck with a long run and shot that fizzed over the bar. The best pass of the afternoon was Gierke’s pass inside the full back for Swindlehurst who confidently struck the ball into his opposite corner to make it 5 – 0.

Although immaterial Thornton scored a magnificent consolation goal when in stoppage time Khanbay ran almost the length of the pitch before smashing the ball past Thornley in the home goal.

But as far as the Garstang F.C. Management Committee were concerned it was the first part of the job “well done” with Reserve Management Team, Bailey and Curwen steadying the ship following the departure of Manager Iain Swan the previous week.

The match was sponsored by John and Anne Swale who chose Matty Poole as their Man of the Match.

Garstang’s next match is October 11 against Coppull Utd, KO:3pm