Garstang FC race to Richardson Cup victory

Garstang were comfortable winners in their Richardson Cup tie at Slyne-with-Hest on Saturday
Garstang were comfortable winners in their Richardson Cup tie at Slyne-with-Hest on Saturday

Garstang FC were comfortable 4-0 winners when they travelled to Slyne with Hest for Saturday’s Richardson Cup tie.

Manager Lee Baker chose not to rotate his squad and he selected a very strong line-up for a cup competition which saw Garstang reach the final last season.

He made just one change to last week’s line-up, Dave Jack returning in place of the absent Alex Colquhoun.

The large Garstang contingent in the crowd were expecting another good performance from Baker’s side and they were not disappointed

The game could have been over as a contest in the first 90 seconds with both Alan and Rick Coar missing two excellent chances.

Garstang took the lead after just 14 minutes when Rick Coar fired home from close range while the home side claimed for offside.

Alan Coar had another chance to score but was thwarted by a fingertip save from Slyne keeper Ben Price, and brother Rick went close with another effort.

Towards the end of the half, Slyne started to see some better possession in front of the Garstang back four with former Garstang player Matty Bell being a good outlet for them. At half-time the score was 1-0 to Garstang and they went into the break disappointed at being only one up.

Garstang started the second half on the front foot and remained in total control.

Alan Coar shot home in the 57th minute following good build-up play, and from then, on the result was never in doubt. Garstang continued to press, the Slyne keeper making some excellent saves and interceptions with the home team struggling to contain Baker’s side.

Rick Coar could have extended the lead when he rounded the keeper but only to see his goalbound shot well blocked by a defender.

At the other end Swindlehurst and Fawcett dominated the Slyne forward line and gave Garstang keeper Curwen excellent protection.

The game was over as a contest when a swift counter attack saw Rick Coar draw the keeper out of his goal and proceeded to calmly lay the ball into the path of brother Alan for a simple sidefooted finish to make it 3-0.

There was still time for young Bevan, on as a last-minute substitute, to get on the scoresheet with his first touch, when he headed home a superb Tom Graham corner to give Garstang an unassailable lead and a passage into round two of the cup.