Garstang FC's winning start to the season

West Lancashire League

Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 9:21 am
Updated Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 10:24 am
Both teams emerge for the start of the new season at The Riverside

Manager Lee Baker’s policy of evolution and not revolution was there to see with a Garstang side comprising of a blend of old and new faces in what turned out to be a good performance.

Garstang looked quite assured in the early skirmishes of the game with the Coar brothers looking particularly sharp up front.

Against the run of play, Garstang failed to clear a set piece and a Coppull player shot from outside of the box into the corner of Dan Curwen’s goal to give the visitors an early lead.

Garstang pressed for an equaliser and the score was soon level when an Alan Coar cross shot was tapped in at the far post by Rick Coar.

For the remainder of the half, the home side created plenty of good chances to extend the lead but were unable to capitalise on these.

Scott, the Coppull keeper, did well to save from both Murphy and Tom Graham, whilst Alan Coar saw a header hit the top of the bar.

Curwen had a little to do as Garstang worked hard to shut down any threats from the Coppull forwards and further opportunities were scorned by Garstang.

The teams went in level at half-time with the score at 1-1.

In the second half, Garstang continued to apply pressure with Taylor breaking up play well in the centre of the park.

Soon The Riversiders took the lead for the first time in the match when Alan Coar finished well following a Garstang free kick midway inside the Coppull half.

Murphy had a good 10 minutes with a couple of excellent runs.

Coar fired over and Scott in the Coppull goal was called into action again to deny Garstang with some saves from close range.

However, and against the run of play, Coppull equalised when a hopeful through ball was intercepted by the otherwise excellent Birch who diverted the ball past a stranded Curwen to give Coppull an undeserved equaliser.

Roberts replaced a tiring Murphy as Garstang looked to press for a winner while debutant Alex Colquhoun, who had a good game alongside Andy Taylor, was replaced by Salisbury.

With six minutes of the game remaining Rick Coar scored the winner with a great header from a pinpoint Graham cross.