Garstang head to next round after penalties

Latest sport news
Latest sport news

Garstang Yth 2

Hesketh Bank 2

(Garstang 3-1 on penalties)

Garstang FC have reached the next stage of the Lancashire Amateur Shield on penalties.

The Riversiders held their nerve to edge past first division table toppers Hesketh Bank after going through on a penalty shoot out.

It was a tentative start to the second round game as both sides strived for control.

Baker was the first player to test the visitor’s keeper, then a good move started by Osbourne saw Poole head over a good cross by Melling.

Garstang were on the back foot in the 17th minute when first Bell kicked off the line then were grateful to Osbourne for blocking a goal bound effort from Dalton.

The game had really opened up, Burns brought a decent save out of Brindle before Garstang took the lead with 28 minutes on the clock. Anderson picked out Poole who had made a good run into the box, he squared the ball to Gierke who only had to tap the ball home.

Louth replaced Osbourne at half time and it wasn’t long before Garstang were on the offensive, Gierke did brilliantly to work space for himself and put the ball on a plate for Fawcett but unfortunately for Garstang the midfielder’s shot flew over the bar.

The influential Birkby deservedly put his team back on level terms after 51 minutes when he capitalized on some indecisive defending by Garstang.

Burns was booked for a late challenge on Anderson. Fawcett again drew warm applause from the crowd when after a good run and pass by Melling, the Garstang skipper brought a wonder save from the visitor’s keeper Sergeant.

Referee Stephens had to stamp some authority on the game when he yellow carded Norgate for hacking down Fawcett, then Dalton received the same treatment for felling Melling.

It looked like things were going Garstang’s way until Stead headed his side in front on 71 minutes but the home team hit back immediately. Following a corner, Baker turned the ball back into the danger zone, Gierke’s header brought another great save out of Sergeant but he couldn’t prevent Crossley from heading the ball back over the line to make it 2-2.

Helliwell replaced Fawcett then Baker was yellow carded for disputing a free kick that caused a scare in the Garstang goalmouth. Hastings replaced Poole in the closing stages of the game.

The final whistle sent the game into penalties, both sides having played their part in an entertaining game that neither side deserved to lose.

Although Sutcliffe missed Garstang’s first penalty, Helliwell, Gierke and Melling scored. Birkby scored Hesketh’s but Burns, Stead and Norgate all hit the post, sending Garstang through to the third round.

Garstang FC will meet Vickerstown for the away tie on October 26.

Garstang: Brindle, Bell, Sutcliffe, Baker, Crossley, Osbourne, Melling, Fawcett, Poole, Gierke, Anderson. Subs: Louth, Hastings, Helliwell

Hesketh Bank: Sergeant, Goodson, Henerty, Thompson, Norgate, Hill, Stead, Smethurst, Burns, Birkby Dalton. Subs: Brierley, Cookson, Gibbs, Johnson.