Garstang prove their mettle during match

Sport news
Sport news
Share this article

Garstang 2nd XI (2) v Windermere 1st XI (2)

An under strength Garstang 2nd XI made the long trek to South Lakes to play fifth placed Windermere.

Garstang started put Windermere under early pressure with Wendy Haworth, Fi Dundas and Olivia Mason threatening to score on the break. Capt Helen Mather was helping to control the midfield with Gemma Livesey and Jemma Hampson freeing Wendy to attack the dee.

Nevertheless, Windermere steadily improved and had their first near miss in front of the Garstang goal after 18 minutes. The young Garstang backs Ellies Harrison and Moss plus Holly Wilson started to earn their salt supported by the ever-reliable Jemma Hampson coming back from midfield and led by Georgie Hampson as centre back.

Zoe Mather in the Garstang goal made some well-judged and powerful kicks. The umpire disallowed a Garstang goal for being struck outside the circle when Garstang were firmly of the opinion it was a yard inside the dee. Just before the half Mather made a good break, passed to Wendy Haworth and she made a selfless pass across the keeper for a well placed Fran Tanton-Williams to slap the ball home for Garstang’s first goal with 30 seconds left in the half: 1 – 0.

Windermere came out with intent in the second half and won a series of penalty corners which culminated in a shot at goal past keeper Zoe. A defender made cruel deflection and the ball went home to level the scores; 1 -1. After 11 minutes of the half Windermere went ahead with a good shot across Zoe and led 1 – 2.

Windermere scented victory and with speedy young forwards, adequate substitutes and some skilled adult midfielders were roared on by their supporters. Garstang were tested as never before this season and at times lost their control of the centre ground.

Nerves led to mistakes and Holly Wilson became a star with her well-judged clearances to the side in the Garstang half and dee. After 22 minutes of intense battle Garstang rose from the Windermere attack waves and led by an inspired Haworth fought back winning a series of PCs and turned the tide. Ellie Harrison and Ellie Moss made well -judged runs up the wings from defence to supply the attack and Garstang were laying siege to Windermere’s dee.  

With less than two minutes to go Wendy got the ball in to the dee. The keeper made a save but the Dundas supported by Wendy and Helen Mather got the ball home at irrefutable close range to equalise and draw the game. Holly Wilson was voted man of the match.