Garstang run riot in second half

Assistant Player Manager Leon Gierke
Assistant Player Manager Leon Gierke

Burnley Utd 3

Garstang 6

Jamie Hastings made his first start and newly signed Joe Melling from Longridge Town started on the bench.

Playing against a very strong wind, Garstang found themselves a goal down within three minutes when Brindle completely missed a Burnley corner leaving Barrett the easiest of chances at the far post.

It took time for Garstang to settle but when they did they started to play their way back into the game. A Gierke corner was well met by Helliwell but his shot was blocked then Draycott stuck over following a good move involving Benson, Bell and Poole.

It didn’t look like being Garstang’s day when another Brindle blunder gifted Burnley with a second goal, Wood robbing the keeper as he dallied with the ball at his feet.

Garstang were back in it on 31 minutes, a quickly taken free kick by Gierke to Hastings was whipped into the box for Baker to power home with his head.

Home keeper Reid saved well with his legs from Poole then Crossley headed another pinpoint corner from Gierke over the bar as Garstang pressed hard for an equaliser.

Before the break Brindle went some way to amend for his earlier errors when he did well to tip a good effort from Cowan round the post.

It was 2–2 after 48 minutes, Gierke being the first to react when a Burnley clearance came back off another defender before Gierke coolly slid the ball past Reid.

Gierke’s intelligent movement almost forced Draycott to give him the ball out on the left, another great run into the box by Fawcett was picked out by the Assistant Player Manager and the midfielder did the rest. The outstanding Gierke made it four a minute later turning sharply in the box and firing home. Garstang just about wrapped it up in the 68th minute when Bell cut inside from the left before steering the ball past the keeper’s right hand.

Poole added another to complete the second half rout before manager Swan sent on Melling, Gardner and Sutcliffe for Bell Hastings and Poole. Wood scored what could only be described as a third consolation goal with 10 minutes to go.

Following the midweek setback against Vickerstown, the manager must have been delighted with the response from his players.

Against Vickerstown, Garstang’s bright start to the season had come to an abrupt halt with a 4-1 defeat at Riverside.

Manager Swan sprung a few surprises in the line-up dropping Helliwell and Bell to the bench, bringing back Glennie and giving Gardner his first start.

Jamie Hastings, newly signed from Kendal Town, was on the bench.

Having assembled a very strong squad “The Gaffer” decided to rotate his squad, but it soon became apparent that the strategy wasn’t going to work.

From being a tight disciplined unit in the first three games Garstang were, all over the place and it wasn’t until the 27th minute before the home team created a chance when Poole pulled his shot wide following a great pass by Dodd.

On the other hand Vickerstown were creating chance after chance and it was no surprise when they took the lead from the penalty spot.

Baker had brought down Bruce, Keenan converted the kick despite a valiant effort by Brindle.

Hastings replaced Draycott at the break and although Garstang couldn’t be criticised for their work rate it was the visitors who increased their lead.

Garstang pulled one back through Gierke but in their frantic efforts to get back on level terms the team lost all discipline and conceded two more goals in what turned out to be a bitterly disappointing night for the ‘Riversiders’.

Match Sponsor: Bill Burrows chose Ryan Dodd as Garstang’s ‘Man of the Match’.