Match report: Garstang FC 2 Lostock St Gerards 1

Garstang saw off Lostock St Gerards in the Lancashire Amateur Shield on Saturday
Garstang saw off Lostock St Gerards in the Lancashire Amateur Shield on Saturday
Share this article

Lancashire Amateur Shield First Round

Kicking towards the river in the first half, Garstang started the superior side and the game’s first chance was created after just 50 seconds when Rick Coar missed a good opportunity following excellent approach play by Ben Roberts.

Some sloppy defending gifted a chance to the Lostock centre-forward, who should have done better than shoot wide after a poor clearance.

Roberts cut inside and chipped a ball which Coar, at full stretch, did well to meet with his head but he directed his header high and wide.

Lostock should have taken the lead when Adam Clare had a straight run in on goal following an excellent through ball, but his shot was well saved by Josh Woods.

Coar had another good chance but headed wide from Andrew Murphy’s corner.

Garstang were now in the ascendancy and the deadlock should have been broken when Coar was put clean through only to see him pull his shot wide of the post.

A couple of Murphy corners caused Lostock issues as Coar had a shot blocked and should have done better with the rebound.

Coar was put through again on goal but mishit his shot before Lostock capitalised on Garstang’s inability to finish in the 36th minute.

Clare raced through without pressure and calmly slotted his shot past Woods to give Lostock the lead very much against the run of play.

Tom Graham and Chris Byrne worked hard in the centre of the park and started to exert a degree of control which would be continued for the remainder of the game.

There was still time in the half for Graham to shoot just over from 25 yards following clever footwork by Roberts on.

Garstang started the second half as they finished the first, attacking Lostock at every opportunity.

Within two minutes, Graham’s corner was met by Poole who saw shot kicked off the line by a Lostock defender.

Garstang continued to press and were rewarded in the 54th minute when Graham laid a superb ball into Roberts’ path, who saw his shot deflected on the line and into the net.

Poole had a good shot well saved and the sizeable Riverside crowd didn’t have to wait long for the winner.

A bread and butter through ball should have been dealt with but the central defender and keeper hesitated, which allowed Coar to nip in between them and he was subsequently brought down for a clear penalty.

Poole calmly dispatched the resulting spot kick to give Garstang what was to prove an unassailable lead.

Lostock tried to get back in the game but Fawcett and Colquhoun particularly were excellent and restricted Lostock to some half chances as Garstang comfortably saw out the remaining minutes for a well deserved victory.