NWCFL clubs face at least another week's wait for a decision to be made

Decisions on the continuation of the season for the North West Counties Football League and other non-league competitions below National League level will not be made for another week at least.

Monday, 15th February 2021, 12:30 pm

The NWCFL, which includes Garstang FC and Longridge Town, has shared a statement confirming that it and other competitions in steps three to six of the non-league pyramid will wait for next week’s anticipated government announcement on the lockdown situation before deciding how to proceed.

Longridge Town last played on Boxing Day when they were 3-0 winners at Squires Gate in the Premier Division.

Garstang FC’s last game came two days later when they also returned from the Fylde coast with victory, posting a 3-1 win at AFC Blackpool in the First Division North.

Longridge Town haven't played since Boxing Day Picture: Adam Gee

When the NWCFL suspended matches two days later, Town were 13th in the top flight after playing only four of their scheduled 38 matches.

For their part, the Riversiders were 11th in the First Division North after seven of their 36 games.

The statement reads: “The National League System Team wish to provide the following update to clubs in relation to the potential continuation or curtailment of the 2020/21 season at Steps 3 to 6 of the National League System (NLS).

“The Alliance Committee (Steps 3 & 4) and Leagues Committee (Steps 5 & 6) met on 8 and 9 February, respectively, to discuss the data that was collated following the recent surveys circulated to clubs at this level of the game.

“During discussions, the committees acknowledged the likelihood that the Prime Minister will set out a ‘roadmap’ to the nation on February 22 as to how Government intend to begin to reduce the current Covid-19 restrictions.

“Given that any such update from the government on February 22 may provide the committees with additional relevant information to help determine the preferred route forward, they have agreed to reconvene after this date.

“In addition, the Alliance Committee are also conscious of the ongoing process the National League (Steps 1 & 2) are undertaking and the potential impact this could have on any actions the Committee may choose to take. There will be an update provided in due course.”

Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 per month for the first two months. Try us today by clicking here