Poole saves the day as chances go to waste

Garstang were held to a 4-4 draw by Coppull
Garstang were held to a 4-4 draw by Coppull

West Lancs Premier League

Garstang 4

Coppull United 4

Two quality goals by top scorer Matty Poole spared his team’s blushes in a game that saw Garstang spurn numerous chances as well as conceding the softest of goals.

Andy Ireland came in for McGahon who had returned to Kendal Town whilst Swindlehurst and Curwen replaced the unavailable Roskell and Thornley in the Garstang line up.

Garstang should have been three goals to the good within 10 minutes, Swindlehurst twice and Poole all wasting clear chances. It therefore came as a shock for the hosts when Coppull scored the first goal on 17 minutes, Hendy’s shot being deflected, sending Curwen the wrong way and although the Garstang Keeper got a hand to the ball it fell to Leece who fired home.

The goal gave the visitors some belief. Bell did well to deflect a Robinson effort over the bar.

Garstang retaliated, Dodd created a one on one situation for Poole but the striker delayed his shot and the opportunity went. Dodd was then yellow carded more out of frustration prior to the half time break.

Within a minute of the restart it was 0 – 2, Leece latching on to a mistimed header by Fawcett.

The Garstang defence had gone missing when Hendy in a goal scoring position fired over the bar.

Crossley powered home Garstang’s first goal after 51 minutes when he rose high to head home Dodd’s corner to make it 1 – 2 then the experienced Gierke replaced Swindlehurst and it wasn’t long before he had headed home Garstang’s equaliser after some good work by Poole.

The game had really opened up, probably too much for the respective Managers’ but good for the healthy crowd.

Gierke picked up a booking before Bell headed out a Leece cross.

Some good work by Dodd on the right produced a chance for Gierke but he couldn’t keep his header under the bar.

Poole completed the turnaround after 68 minutes with a slick turn and strike that nestled into the corner of the net, 3 – 2.

Louth replaced the injured McEvoy then Crossley headed a Gierke corner over the bar.

Disaster struck for Garstang when a mix up between Crossley and Curwen allowed Leece to nip in to score his and his team’s third goal.

Matters worsened, Bell picked up a yellow card then with only ten minutes left Curwen allowed a long range effort from Leece squirm through his hands into the net, 3 – 4.

But that wasn’t it, with only four minutes remaining the irrepressible Poole turned two defenders inside out before firing past King in the Coppull goal to secure another vital point for the “Riversiders”

Thee game was sponsored by Graham Anthony Associates LT who chose Ryan Dodd as their Man of the Match.

Next match October 18, Eagley v Garstang and at the Riverside, Garstang Reserves v Coppull Utd Reserves.