Reds rue missed chances

Garstang v Slyne with Hest
Garstang v Slyne with Hest

Garstang gaffer Iain Swan rued a missed opportunity as his side lost their fourth successive match against Slyne with Hest.

Matthew Bell scored on his return to the Garstang starting line up, but two clinical Tom Entwistle strikes sealed a 2-1 victory for the hosts.

After an opening day 2-2 draw against Lostock St Gerards, Garstang are yet to win a match in the new West Lancashire Premier League campaign.

The loss was the side’s fourth defeat in a row and Swan is determined to bounce back against Blackpool Wren Rovers this weekend.

The visitors pressure in the first 10 minutes was relentless.

Strike duo Leon Gierke and Matthew Poole both had clear cut opportunities to open the scoring, but they squandered the opportunities.

And the missed chances proved costly in the 12th minute when Entwistle was allowed time to pick his spot to give Slyne the lead against the run of play.

The goal gave the hosts some momentum and Garstang keeper Mark Thornley was forced into a fine dive to stop a low drive from the lively Entwisle.

Slyne hot-shot Entwistle was the architect of the third chance as he teed up Ogley, but a superb tackle by Neil Uberschar stopped the hosts doubling their lead.

By the 25th minute the game was mainly being played in the Slyne half, with Bell a constant threat down the right.

Garstang had several chances to bag an equaliser.

Gary Fawcett’s shot was blocked, Poole latched on to another fierce Bell cross but could not find the net and Ryan Dodd blasted over from a Gierke corner.

But Bell bagged the equaliser in the 41st minute, with the marauding full-back cutting inside on his supposed weaker left foot and smashing the ball past Miller.

Bell fired in another teasing cross before the break, but Fawcett’s header did not trouble the keeper.

And within four minutes of the restart Slyne had regained their lead when star man Entwisle danced past Taylor before firing an accurate finish past Thornley.

But Garstang continued to create chances and Miller somehow managed to keep out a vicious strike by Gierke.

Moments later the Garstang striker had another shot deflected for a corner, which resulted in a golden chance for Alex Hay. However, his header flew over the bar.

In the closing stages a frustrated Garstang side picked up a number of yellow cards.

Hay was booked for a foul on Galley, Uberschar was carded for a foul on Thomas and McGahon and Fawcett saw yellow for remonstrating with the referee.

Dejected Garstang manager Iain Swan wants his side to be more clinical and take their chances in their next few matches.

He said: “Slyne had three chances and scored twice. We had 10 chances and scored once. Both of their goals were good strikes, but he shouldn’t even been allowed to get a strike in”

Slyne with Hest: Miller, Glennie, Galley, Wardle, Plackett, Thomas, Buller, Entwisle, Ogley, Evans, Mason. Subs: Mason, Doherty, Mills, Hoyle.

Garstang: Thornley, Bell, Louth, Uberschar, Baker, Taylor, McGahon, Fawcett, Poole, Gierke, Dodd. Subs: Graham, Hay, Porter