Three points for Garstang after a frantic first period

Garstang's Leon Gierke
Garstang's Leon Gierke

West Lancs. Premier league:

Vickerstown 1 Garstang 2

Garstang returned from the Walney Island with all three points after riding their luck in a frantic first half in which Vickerstown had taken an early lead.

“Swany’s” squad was buoyed with the return of Conor Crossley who had been with Lancaster City since the start of the seaso. However, the powerful defender could do little to prevent Vickerstown’s opener by Paterson in the 8th minute.

Chances came and went at both ends, a dangerous cross by Darby was cleared by McEvoy then Dodd shot narrowly wide for the visitors.

Bell blazed over before Kewley was allowed a free strike on the Garstang goal.

Two consecutive Gierke corners caused panic in the home defence before the ball was quickly dispatched into the Garstang penalty box, Crossley doing well to block a goal bound effort by Keenan.

Garstang had a let off when Thornley appeared to have brought down the advancing Paterson in the box but a goal kick was awarded.

Further opportunities fell to Vickerstown’s danger men Keenan and Paterson and for the visitors Bell had a good effort tipped round the post then Gierke fluffed another good chance before the half time whistle.

Garstang made an emphatic start to the second half, Fawcett robbed Brennan before crossing for Poole but the striker could only head over.

Vickerstown couldn’t get out of their own half, Fawcett was an inspiration, Roskell’s work rate was phenomenal and Dodd’s touch and vision was first class.

Fawcett’s endeavours were rewarded in the 57th minute when his shot came back off a defender into the path of McGahon who fired the ball past Belcher in the Home goal.

Garstang’s superiority continued despite injuries to Baker and McEvoy who were replaced by Louth and Hay.

Dodd had brought a good save out of Belcher before Garstang deservedly took the lead when from another quality Gierke corner the finally arrived at the feet of Bell 25 yards from goal and not for the first time this season the wing back curled his shot into the top corner past the outstretched hands of Belcher for what proved to be a magnificent winning goal.

Dodd and Poole both had opportunities to make the game safe before a block by Man of the Match Fawcett in the last minute preserved Garstang’s hard earned points.

VICKERSTOWN TEAM: Belcher, Miller, Brennan, Jepson, Imison, Jones, Darby, Cummings, Keenan, Paterson, Kewley. SUBS: Dix, Bruce, Round, Rutherford.

GARSTANG TEAM: Thornley, Bell, Mcgahon, Baker, Crossley, McEvoy, A. Roskell, Fawcett, Poole, Gierke, Dodd. SUBS: Graham, Louth, Hay, A. Mattichechia

Fixtures: Garstang are at home to Charnock Richard, kick off 3pm while the unbeaten Reserve Team are without a game.