Youth team unable to take win at home

Sport news
Sport news
Share this article

Garstang Yth 1 v 1 Lytham St Annes YMCA Yth

After last weeks loss in Blackpool, the youth team were looking to bounce back with a win against an undefeated Lytham side.

Garstang started very slowly in the opening stages of the game and allowed the visitors to have 3 near misses, including an effort from the edge of the box that struck Graham’s far post after just 4 minutes.

The match went on to be very slow with most of the game being battled out in the midfield and both teams not being able to get a convincing shot away. Garstang’s only real chance came through the lone striker Applegate who fired just wide from a tight angle.

Lytham almost took the lead on the half hour mark after a ball was played over the top to an oncoming striker who volleyed from close range only to find his shot superbly saved by Graham to keep the game at 0-0 into half time.

The second half started as the first ended with much of the game fought out in the middle of the park but it didn’t take long for Graham to be called into action again with another brilliant save six minutes after the restart.

The youth countered very quickly through Roberts on the left who took it past two defenders and squared the ball to Applegate in the box who’s near post effort was brilliantly tipped wide.

The resulting corner was whipped in and it found Bevan’s head and he powered the ball in from close range to put Garstang 1-0 up after 53 minutes.

With 20 minutes left and the home side still in the lead Lytham started to play in a more attacking like manner. Another through ball saw a close range shot from the visitors clawed out by Graham and he then pounced on the rebound to keep the game at 1-0 after putting in a brilliant performance so far.

Garstang had little chances in the last 10 minutes apart from a Murphy shot which came close.

They called upon Graham again who made another outstanding save from a shot inside the box.

Graham was looking unbeatable in the Garstang goals until a corner from the visitors found a free header in the box to tie the score at 1-1 in the 85th minute.

The game finished 1-1 which was a fair result but the lads might be a little disappointed at conceding to a simple and repetitive mistake.

The youth are away from the league next week with a 1st round LFA Cup tie against Fulledge Colts and will be looking to build up a good cup run over the forthcoming months.

Garstang Squad: Graham, Hofstetter, Bailey, Hands, Blackburn, Murphy (Capt), Mullin, Carter, Smith, Applegate, Roberts, Ball, Bevan, Handley, McGrath, Moss.