Game ends in a flurry of sixes

Sport news
Sport news
Share this article

Westmorland Cricket League – Division One

Windermere 123

Shireshead & Forton 124/3

Shireshead travelled to Windermere on a scorching hot day which began in sombre fashion with a minute of silence to remember the sad passing of Windermere stalwart Joe Stephenson.

Windermere elected to bat first upon winning the toss and soon lost both openers as Danny Wilkinson (2 for 35) and Dave Jack bowled incisive early spells. An injury to Jack pressed young leg-spinner Rowan Upton into action early, and he bowled through the rest of the innings picking up 3 for 38 from his 15 overs.

M Park (61) was the cornerstone of the Windermere effort but he found little support and the lack of a sizeable partnership meant the innings subsided to 123 all out in the fortieth over.

The Windermere opening attack threw everything at Shireshead’s top order in an effort to make early inroads. J Park and J Crawford bowled handy opening spells, and reduced Shireshead to 19 for 2, but skipper Paul Yates (36 not out) weathered the early storm and Simon Gould (26) counter-attacked with his usual array of dashing strokes as they added 42 quickly for the third wicket. Gould’s demise brought Wilkinson to the wicket and he made a rapid unbeaten 45 and ended the game in a flurry of sixes, Shireshead winning by seven wickets with 23 overs to spare.

Westmorland league Division 2

Shireshead 2nd 229

Holme 1st 126

Stand-in skipper Twiname had no hesitation in asking title contenders Holme to bowl first. With Shireshead reduced to 3 for 3 and then 14 for 4, Carl Weiss (3 for 4 at the time) was taken from the attack to retain some of his 12-over allowance for later. This allowed the patient Robert Skipworth (74) and the flamboyant Faizan Khan (80) to completely change the course of the game. Sharing a fifth wicket partnership of 149, both showed no mercy against the poor ball, scoring 20 fours and 4 sixes.

The returning C. Weiss (12-2-56-5) removed both batsmen in his final over. Alex Taylor (26), Andy Burch (12) and Izhar Ullah (11) continued the onslaught adding 70 more runs in the last 10 overs, leaving Shireshead 229 all out.

Holme were under pressure immediately against the pace and bounce of Izhar Ullah and accurate Alex Taylor (1 for 11 off 7). Hampered by the excellent ground fielding of the Shireshead youngsters, Holme were always behind the required run rate. After the removal of the dangerous S. Lord (22) and C.Weiss (21) by the controlled swing of Andy Burch (3 for 25) and the variation of Adam Coates (2 for 34), Shireshead took wickets regularly. It was left to the returning Ullah (4 for 39) to remove Betley’s middle stump and secure 15 points for Shireshead.

Westmorland league Division 4

Shireshead 3rds 224/6

Bolton-le-Sands 2nds 104

Shireshead’s skipper Simon Moulson won the toss and elected to bat. Tom Barnes (3/56) removed the first two batsmen cheaply. Then 
Moulson (50) joined Geoff Hornby (54) and together 
they added 75 for the 4th wicket. Malcolm Taylor (53) replaced Hornby, Barnes’ third wicket, when they added a further sixty. With useful input from the next batsmen, the declaration came in the 43rd over.

In reply, after the early loss of opener Barnes (10), Andy Carruthers (31) and

Mark Wilson (12) compiled 44 for the second wicket. However, Taylor (4/10), aided by positive contributions from the other bowlers, reduced the home side to 92 for 7. Smart fielding by Alan Moulsdale and Nick Phillips won the game for the visitors in the 47th over.