Garstang run rivals close despite Pye sin-binning

latest news
latest news

Garstang 12, Hutton 23

LAST week, Garstang succumbed to the league leaders, St Edward’s Old Boys, and this week history repeated itself, as the team played a side who are second in the league.

With a strong breeze blowing down the field, Garstang were forced to play the first half against the wind, and they spent much of the time pegged back in their own twenty-two.

Resolute defence kept Hutton at bay for long periods, but they were powerless to prevent a try on the 15-minute mark.

Garstang had their moments in the first period, but they were having to play too much rugby in their own half, and this told, as they conceded a further try and penalty to go into the break trailing 15-0.

Garstang knew that, if they were going to get back into the contest in the second period, they would have to score first.

This was conveyed in the half-time team talk, and it certainly worked as Garstang started the half in flying fashion, with Jimmy Richardson crashing over for a try within a minute of the restart.

Garstang’s tails were now up and, with the wind behind them, they were back in the game.

Ten minutes later, Craig Johnston broke through and could not believe his luck as he ran into an open field. He drew the final man and passed to Ian Walling, who ran down the line and slid in to score in the corner. Paul Brown slipped over a beautiful conversion, and it was now seriously game on at 15-12, with just three points between the two teams.

Hutton, being the quality side that they are, regrouped, and they soon established a period of pressure of their own.

This culminated in Garstang conceding a penalty, which Hutton slotted over to increase their lead to six points.

Midway through the half, Ainsley Pye was shown a yellow card when he was adjudged to have deliberately knocked the ball forward. It was a harsh card, which affected Garstang as their defensive shape was unsettled. Hutton capitalised on this and scored another try to effectively seal the game.

Garstang battled on gamely to the final whistle, but they were unable to breach the resolute Hutton defence, as the visitors held on for the win.

GARSTANG: Miller, Anscombe, Kenyon, Yates, Richardson, Kelsall, Johnston, Orr (captain), Brown, Pye, Walling, Chaplin, Bell, Nickson. Replacements: H.Jones, Parkinson, Duda.

Match Sponsor: The Mayor of Garstang

l ON Saturday, October 29, the first XV are away at Littleborough and the Blues are away against Fylde fifths, both games kick off at 3pm.