It’s gone down to wire for Garstang

editorial image
Share this article

GARSTANG FC will make a last-ditch attempt to save their Premier Division status in the final game of the season, after a defeat against Lostock St Gerards at the weekend.

Despite some recent good performances, Garstang will have to rely on a win against sixth-placed Coppull United, and Blackpool Wren Rovers beating Tempest United, to help them avoid the drop.

Garstang entered the must-win fixture against Lostock St Gerards at the Riverside in good spirits.

Both teams struggled to come to terms with the strong crossfield wind and uneven playing surface, but Garstang settled the better, and pushed Lostock back, coming close in the 15th minute with a vicious free-kick from Gierke, well-saved by Brindle in the Lostock goal.

The half continued in the same pattern, with hard working Stringfellow, Clarke and Anderson dominant in midfield.

Lostock looked dangerous on the counter, with Gilmour firing wide and, in the 30th minute, Swan was cautioned for breaking up another Lostock raid.

Garstang continued to look the most likely to score, with another good chance coming Gierke’s way after a free-kick from Crossley caused chaos in the Lostock goalmouth. Gierke shot wide, but should have done better.

Lostock started the second half a lot brighter, Randle hitting the crossbar with a wind-assisted shot, then shooting wide with a half-chance. After that wake up call, the home team settled and started to push forward. Fawcett replaced Preston in the 56th minute, with Anderson moving wide left. This nearly proved a masterstroke as, two minutes later, leaving the full-back on his backside, Anderson put an excellent cross in, but Gierke’s snap shot just went wide of the post.

Shortly after, Stone missed a golden opportunity when put through on goal, but unfortunately failed to work the goalkeeper by shooting wide.

Tiring Stone was replaced by Mensah, and Lostock replaced Jervis with Harper.

Missed chances came back to haunt Garstang when, in the 78th minute, Lostock took an undeserved lead with a close-range header from Gonzales.

As Garstang looked for a deserved equaliser, the game opened up into an end-to-end affair, with both teams creating half-chances.

In added time, Garstang’s Clarke and Lostock’s Randell were dismissed for a minor altercation.

To be fair, the inability to be clinical in front of goal cost Garstang a deserved win.