Blues off the mark with Fleetwood win

Sport news
Sport news

Garstang Blues 29

Fleetwood 3rds 12

Garstang Blues gained their first win of the season over a well-drilled and seasoned Fleetwood 3rd team.

The club were boosted by a great home crowd and produced some entertaining rugby to seal the points.

Fleetwood kicked off the game, but it was Duncan Lambert who put a kick over the top which was duly chased down by Matt Constant who put in a telling pass to Captain Mark Rodgerson who ran through to score under the post within the first minute. Constant converted. (7-0)

This seemed to wake Fleetwood up and they soon found themselves with a penalty within kicking distance which their vibrant number 10 dispatched with ease.

Fleetwood enjoyed much of the possession early on with their pack dominating the scrums and some strong back running keeping them in the Blues 22 but some great defending from Patrick Haley, Chris Duda and Tom Smeaton kept the visitors out.

An early injury for youngster Antonio Lebaldi saw Danny Gunn enter the fray to help tighten Garstang’s front three.

The Blues started to gain a little bit of composure. Alex Carter controlling the back moves, some crashing runs from Danny Gardner and jinking runs from Josh Knowles in the centres drove Garstang up-field.

Fleetwood then lost a player to the sin bin for coming in from the side and Garstang punished with first Mike Saxon powering his way over.

Half time saw Garstang make two changes with Paul Brown and Tom Kerr coming on for Lambert and Carter.

The second period got off to an interesting start when three players Garstang had loaned to Fleetwood came on – Ian Walling, Adam Peach and Andy Tissing all putting in dynamic runs, Walling and Tissing both coming close to scoring for the visitors. In the end a drive over from the Fleetwood tight head and the number 10 slotting the conversion saw the score at 17-10 and a rejuvenated Fleetwood with their heads back up.

Garstang made there last two changes 10 minutes into the half with Tom Wells and Joe Taylor coming on for Danny Gardner and Martin Hindle.

Garstang were not for lying down and they went straight from the restart with Josh Knowles chasing down the kick. Brown and Haley linked to put pressure on Fleetwood, then a quick taken free kick by Brown saw Kerr release Taylor coming onto the pass at pace to score.

From the restart with Garstang in their own 22, Fleetwood didn’t seem in trouble until Kerr put in a beautiful pass to Constant and he ran full length, linking up once with Knowles, and scoring at the other end of the field.

Constant converted his own try.

Garstang believed the game won but Fleetwood certainly aren’t a team to give up and they scored the last try even though Garstang went close with Fraser Farndon and James Isherwood putting in telling runs.

Matt Constant was named players’ Man of the Match, just pipping the hard working Mike Saxon to the post.

On Saturday October 5 the 1st XV are back in action as they take on Hutton at home in North Lancs One, KO 3pm.

The Blues game is a testing encounter as they travel to play Bolton 3rds who are the early league leaders.