Garstang pay price for lack of cutting edge after bright start

Match action as Garstang battle for the ball with Burnley
Match action as Garstang battle for the ball with Burnley

Burnley 22

Garstang 10

Garstang travelled to Burnley on Saturday feeling confident that they could build on their victory last weekend and move up the league table.

But despite dominating territory and possession for long periods, they lacked a cutting edge and were beaten by a team who converted all their chances.

The Garstang team lost Luke Ford through illness and Paul Brown was late to the game after being held up in traffic, but Garstang made the perfect start when they scored a try with less than five minutes played.

The forwards won good ball in midfield and then it was released wide before Adam Nickson cut through a hole in midfield to race through.

He drew his man and popped a pass to Matt Constant, who strolled over to score under the posts. McLennan added the extras and everything looked good for Garstang at 7-0.

Garstang then failed to deal with the subsequent restart properly and this allowed Burnley to get on the front foot. They attacked the Garstang line instantly and after a few phases of play they squeezed over to score in the corner.

he conversion attempt was superb into a difficult wind and the scores were level at 7-7.

Burnley then started to get on top of the game and they were rewarded with a penalty, which they converted to take the lead, but Garstang soon got one of their own to leave the scores locked at 10-10 after twenty minutes. Unfortunately for Garstang they effectively lost the game when they conceded two quick tries a few minutes later.

The first came following a period of patient domination from the Burnley forwards, but the second was a comedy of errors as Garstang spilled the ball and allowed a Burnley player to kick through and score in the corner (22-10).

That was to be the final score in the half and Garstang knew that they would have to play better in the second half if they had any aspirations of winning the game.

The second half started well and Matt Constant went on a sniping run down the wing and, as he was about to be forced into touch, he put in a cute kick down the line, but was then deliberately shoulder charged off the ball.

The referee had no hesitation in sending the Burnley full back to the sin bin for 10 minutes for the offence.

Despite having the extra man, Garstang could find no way over the line despite totally controlling the game territorially.

In fact, they spent the remainder of the game in the Burnley half, but they just could not break through to get the telling score.

At the final whistle the team were mystified that they had been unable to score a single point in the second half and had nothing to show for their efforts.

The 1st XV now have a week of,f with their next game being against Trafford MV on Saturday, November 23. They will be hoping for a better showing in that game when the team will be bolstered by the returning players plus three significant new signings who have been registered by the club this week.

Garstang: Miller, Gunn, Whitaker, Parkinson, Orr, Slater (C), Kelsall, O’Brien, Barton, Dawson, Rogerson, McLennan, Rowbottom, Constant, Nickson. Replacements: Billington, Knowles, Brown.

There was better news for the Blues as they had an excellent 34-0 win at home to Preston Grasshoppers 5ths. Christy Sullivan and Mark Everest bagged two tries apiece, with James Chaplin and Matt Rawlinson also scoring.

The team are now buoyant after three wins on the bounce and they go into the game against league leaders Tarleton 2nds on Saturday fully confident that they can cause an upset to continue their climb up the league table.

The game is away from home and will kick off at 2.15pm.