Hockey team riding high after a hat-trick leads to promotion

Hat-trick scorer Rebecca Worthington, the newest member of the team
Hat-trick scorer Rebecca Worthington, the newest member of the team
Share this article

Newest member of the team scores three times, taking Garstang ladies into Division 2

Garstang’s first team hockey players are celebrating after winning promotion to North West Division 2 with a stylish victory over Southport.

They travelled to face Southport 1st team on a blustery but sunny Saturday hoping to secure a minimum of the single point required to win the league and achieve promotion to the North West Div 2.

Southport won first push back but Garstang laid on a strong press, and quickly gained possession. Di Roe claimed the first goal of the game with a sweeping strike from the right of the D.

Garstang’s strong attack was soon rewarded with their first of many penalty corners, with Fran Summers converting a perfectly waited flick from the top of the D.

The Reds played with pace and determination, eager to push themselves into promotion on a high and continue their unbeaten record for the season. Lindsay Thornhill played a solid ball across the D from the right which landed well for Rebecca Worthington who smashed the ball through the keeper’s legs.

Rebecca took the last goal of the half with a skilful touch on a strike in from the left by Alice Matthews.

The Garstang defence faced little pressure in the first half, but reacted well to the odd break through by the home side.

Garstang’s cheerleaders arrived during the second half, with injured defender Nicki Oddie coming down to see her team win the league.

Garstang put away two more goals, with Catherine Godbold making a neat run into the D from the right hand side to guaranteeing her name on the score sheet.

Worthington scored the final goal of the game for Garstang, securing a hat-trick, and making her contribution known as the newest member of the team. Southport gained themselves a penalty corner as the final whistle was blown, but the Garstang defence dealt with it quickly playing the ball off the side of the pitch, and the game was over. The full three points were awarded and a victorious Garstang were celebrating promotion.