Lead changes but Blues lose out in end

Garstang Blues lost out to Tarleton in a seven minute battle of wills
Garstang Blues lost out to Tarleton in a seven minute battle of wills
Share this article


Garstang Blues were defeated in dramatic fashion on Saturday in a game which saw the lead change hands on four separate occasions in the final seven minutes.

The Blues are currently in the lower half of the table with Tarleton occupying top spot.

However, the side have been re-invigorated by an influx of new players and those returning from injury and prior to this game, had won three games on the trot.

The opening 20 minutes of the game were pulsating with no quarter asked or given by either side. Defences were on top at this stage with both teams making some thunderous tackles with Ainsley Pye, making some telling hits.

The first score came when Tarleton made their first foray into the Blues half and gained a penalty. They elected to go for goal and successfully converted.

Garstang came back at them and almost scored a try in the corner but were thwarted by a last-ditch tackle. However, from the subsequent line-out Garstang produced a well-practiced move and Richard Quinn snuck through to score on the blind side.

The conversion fell just short but Garstang had a slender 5-3 lead to take into the interval.

Garstang struggled at scrum time all afternoon and in the second period they struggled to get any decent ball as their scrum was going backwards time after time.

With chances at such a premium nobody would have been able to predict how the final seven minutes were going to pan out. Garstang were digging deep to hold onto their narrow lead but Tarleton put together a period of sustained pressure and forced their way over the line to take the score to 8-5.

Garstang were in no mood to surrender though and came straight back at the opposition. The ball was worked through the phases on the Tarleton line before being moved out wide, Matt Rawlinson looked like he was going to score but he was held up inches short. Danny Gardner was following up and he was able to gather the ball and reach over to score in the corner.

The travelling supporters were going wild as it looked like Garstang had snuck a 10-8 win at the death.

Unfortunately, Tarleton worked the ball wide and the centre skipped past his opposite man before racing in to score under the posts.

On Saturday November 23 1st XV are in action against second placed Trafford MV. The game is at home and kicks off at 2.15pm.