Match report: Garstang Ladies 2 Liverpool Sefton 1

Lyndsey Hayes was player of the match
Lyndsey Hayes was player of the match
Share this article

Garstang Ladies....................2

The Sefton goalkeeper and defence were excellent, beaten only by two well-taken goals.

An evenly balanced battle ensued in midfield with Garstang inching ahead through the pace of Di Roe and Kiery Horne.

On 16 minutes Garstang made their pressure tell when Gemma Trickett nailed a shot to the backboard following a neat pass across the keeper by Reb Worthington.

Garstang’s passes were flowing but they were not dominant as a strong Sefton keeper had a great game.

Sefton were dangerous on the counter attack and Lindsay Thornhill and Georgie Brumwell made several good clearances.

After 24 minutes, Rachel Roe came on and her pace nearly led to glory with a good break across the top of the ‘D’.

Fran Summers was asserting herself up front as a superb, full stretch interception, nearly unlocked Sefton’s defence.

Horne’s through ball didn’t go to stick as Garstang were adding up their near misses.

They thought they had scored on 26 minutes with Horne’s effort but the umpire deemed the shot as being from outside the ‘D’.

Garstang also cleared a penalty corner before breaking upfield and missing an open goal when the Sefton keeper went to ground too far out.

Trickett also had a great chance on the break but Garstang seemed to slow for the last few minutes of the half with Alanis Parkinson making a good step across.

Garstang started the second half at a slower tempo and Sefton, sensing their chance, exerted pressure.

After seven minutes, Garstang at last broke into the Sefton ‘D’ but their keeper made a superb running interception to clear her lines.

Parkinson made a good save on her right-hand post before Garstang started to put greater pressure on Sefton.

Both sides earned penalty corners, Sefton’s set piece seeing the ball downfield where Garstang put together a superbly worked goal for Summers.

Sefton won a repeated penalty corner on 33 minutes and, at the second, Garstang knocked the shot into the air for a forward to slam the ball home but they held out to record victory.