Walling leads the way to keep Garstang winning run going

Ian Walling scored 33* and took 4 for 45 in Garstang's defeat of Freckleton. Picture by Sir Robert Atkins
Ian Walling scored 33* and took 4 for 45 in Garstang's defeat of Freckleton. Picture by Sir Robert Atkins

Garstang 171-9

Freckleton 131-10

Garstang win by 40 runs

Garstang travelled to Bush Lane on the back of last week’s win in buoyant mood.

Michael Walling won the toss and elected to bat.

Jamie Hogarth drew first blood by ousting opener Curtis Morris as he departed for 5, leaving the visitors 9-1.

Mark Winstanley and Walling continued before the former dragged on for 16, reducing Garstang to 52-2.

And when the impressive Hogarth ousted Adam Senn, (5), the score was now 64-3 from 16 overs.

With their tails up, Freckleton grabbed the prize wicket of Walling with a razor sharp reaction catch from Hogarth off his own bowling, which saw the powerful left hander depart for 40.

Jamie’s brother Andy, player of the month for May, came on and immediately got in on the act with a double wicket maiden as Garstang slipped to 84-6 and in big need of a partnership.

Zac Godfrey-Plews and Andrew Norris stepped up to the plate and patiently built the innings, taking the score past 100. The home side turned to seasoned pro Mark Rigby, who produced a gem to remove Godfrey-Plews, (23) and when Jamie Hogarth returned to trap Norris, (21) lbw, the score was at 135-8 with time still remaining.

Ian Walling and Tyler Ibbotson battled on but with three overs left, the latter lost his off stump leaving Jim Procter and Walling to negotiate the final stages.

They did so in great fashion. Walling struck a run a ball innings of 33 not out, including three big sixes with Procter ably assisting with an equally important 5 not out.

It left Garstang with a very competitive 171-9 from their 45 overs. Jamie Hogarth was the stand out bowler with 6-41 from his 15 overs while Andy Hogarth collected 2-28 and Rigby 1-12.

The Freckleton reply got off to a positive response with Kevin Whitsey and James Fiddler striking a few lusty blows.

Jim Procter’s accuracy though was too much for Whitsey, (10) and Fiddler, (16) was smartly caught by Morris off the same bowler.

Meanwhile, at the other end, Ian Walling’s pace was causing all sorts of problems and he picked up the key wicket of Josh Holden before Eamon Hernon soon followed with neither troubling the scorers.

By now, the home side were 50-4 and themselves in need of a partnership but Andy Hogarth, (14) played an out of character shot off Walling and Ibbotson pouched a good catch to make it 52-5. It was soon 56-6 with Peter Ingham another of Walling’s victims in a hostile spell of quick bowling.

Youngsters James Whitehead and Jamie Hogarth dug deep and went about calming things down.

They did so with a well polished partnership, showing greater determination than their predecessors as skipper Walling chopped and changed his bowlers.

The duo took the score to 110-6 and very much switched the momentum of play until Ibbotson produced a top quality delivery to find the edge of Hogarth, (17) to swing the game back Garstang’s way. Edward Fiddler was run out by Procter in the same over as Garstang neared the end.

The return of university student Ibbotson saw him produce a confident and successful spell of left arm pace, which troubled Gary Fiddler, (3), who looped a chance to Godfrey-Plews who took a good diving catch.

Last man Rigby ensured a long wait for the Garstang victory with a 32 ball innings before the game ended with Whitehead trapped lbw by Michael Walling, (1-1) followed a decent knock of 46.

Ian Walling, (4-45) was well backed up by Procter, (2-34) and Ibbotson, (2-25) in a good team victory.

Match Ball Sponsor – Pipers Restaurant